Wednesday, June 18, 2008

How Do You Spell Facetious?


I was out to lunch with my almost 91 year old mother, who has a tremendous spirit but struggles with remembering what she has done in the present. She is legally blind from having macular degeneration and her hearing isn't so hot either. I am not able to remember the last time I read her exquisite handwriting. So when I was bantering with my 15 year old son about the definition and spelling of facetious, it was remarkable that my "dear old maw" (we weren't allowed to call her "mom") chimed in sharply and distinctly (before my son could utter a sound) "f-a-c-e-t-i-o-u-s!". She then informed me that the old "noodle" still worked! That may seem like an awfully small thing to get enthused about, but for me . . .well I was able to see a glimpse of the person that my mother once was and who now -- is just a shadow.
facetious [fass-see-shuss] Adjective
joking, or trying to be amusing, esp. at inappropriate times [Old French facetie witticism]

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

love the story! what a blessing!!

Phyllis said...

Your mom still looks the same, older, but the same...she was always so genteel. I too loved that story.