Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Wisteria!

This is what I’ve been viewing as I drive to work for the past ten? days! Today I had the presence of mind to make sure my camera was in my bag and stop to take pictures. I’m sure they won’t last much longer and I had to capture a little of their beauty. As I was taking these this morning, the lady of the house nearby told me to break some off…so now my office smells like wisteria!



Wikipedia says that wisteria is a member of the pea family…who would have thought? It is a woody climbing vine that is common to the eastern US and other countries such as China, Korea, and Japan. Google also brought up a picture of a bonsai wisteria…now that was interesting. But I shall enjoy them today, and my all male office members will have to endure their perfume. Love it!



3 comments:

KitschKrafts said...

Oh, I just LOVE wisteria! I once lived in a little rental house that butted up against some city property that was left to go wild and wisteria grew just over the fence, thick like a rain forest. In the early spring the blooms would be dripping off the vines that hung over our back fence, and in the morning the mist off that property gave the whole back yard a magical quality. It was one of those things you had to see and smell to really get the jist of, but I will never forget it.
Ah, spring!

Unknown said...

Wisteria is so very lovely! I used to live in a sleepy town named Summerville in South Carlina and some of the old victorian houses had wisteria draping here and there it was a sight to behold! Thank you for the reminder just how beautiful it is!
oxo

bonFlourish.blogspot.com said...

When we were young and foolish and we had just purchased our old Victorian house, my husband and I wanted to spruce up our front porch. So we cut back those old vines growing all through the mill work... a neighbor ran out of her house horrified!! It took years for us to get it back to where it was... absolutely beautifully draping from our mill work and dripping blooms every spring! I miss our Wisteria. Thanks for the pictures!!
Miss seeing you at the shop, Bonnie